The Vita American foulbrood (AFB) Diagnostic Test Kit enables beekeepers and bee inspectors to test for AFB
in honeybee larvae and to obtain the results immediately and easily in the apiary.
- Diagnostic kit works like a home pregnancy test
- Generates immediate results
- Reacts specifically to antibodies associated with the pathogen Paenibacillus larvae subsp. larvae which causes AFB in honeybees
How To Use the AFB kit
- Extract a larva showing suspicious symptoms with the spatula. You can sample several larvae or scales if needed, BUT don’t put too much organic material in the sample bottle – it may clog the device. Only tiny tiny samples are needed.
- Unscrew lid from the Extraction Bottle. Use the spatula to deposit sample in the bottle. Replace the lid and shake vigorously for about 20 seconds. BEWARE – the bottle contains buffer and sodium azide.
- Remove a Test Device from foil pack. WARNING Do not touch viewing window.
- Unscrew lid of Extraction Bottle and use the supplied pipette to remove a sample from the bottle. For best results remove the sample immediately after shaking to prevent bacteria from settling out of suspension.
- Hold the Test Device horizontally and gently squeeze two drops onto the sample well of the device.
- Keep device horizontal until extract is absorbed (c 30 seconds) and a blue dye appears in the viewing window.
- Wait until the control line appears (labelled C) and read the result (c1-3 minutes)